Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Expo Zaragoza 2008 visits Brussels, capital of Europe

For those of you new to the Expo Zaragoza 2008 you might be thinking what the hell is that creature...


Well, the ET looking drop of water is called Fluvi and was overlooking us at the presentation of Expo in the European Parliament. There, the 27 countries of the European Union are represented and what is more, guaranteed they can use their national language as a working language (with simultaneous interpretation). I guess that was exactly what the institutional representatives (mayor of zaragoza, president of Aragon, etc) were just doing for this presentation....but without interpreters. Good thing, and that message did pass, was to see several Spanish political heavy weights from left and right. Believe me when I tell you that, these days (just before general elections in Spain) this is rather rare to have.


Coming back to real water, 50% of the contents of the pavilions should be dedicated to the theme of the Expo. Distribution of the countries takes place according to ecosystems will –no doubt- extra-motivate countries to focus on their specific ecological situations. Also great news is that the EU has committed to participate at the Expo with a 2.5 millon Euros, 577m2 pavilion....numbers.... I imagine, the EU will have a lot to say on the debates that will take place during the Expo around the central topic of water & sustainable development. I will let you know more in future posts on this. Oh I almost forgot, the introductions.... I was writing a blog about this Expo for a year and just now I am jgiven the opportunity to post from the official website of the expo. Thanks!
The idea of the blog remains the same ie. so far when talking with non-spanish friends about Zaragoza they usually are unable to put it ”on the map” often mentioning either Vasque Country or Catalunya as the region where Zaragoza is located. When I then mention Aragon it rings some bells but not that many…
Well, to conclude, I will be asking the roadmap of any other event outside Spain and –why not- the European borders to post the info here…in advance. From your side, please post here any questions you might have as I am sure many people from my region and beyond will be able to help you…

I leave you with a water thriller from Sergio Cannella ….Enjoy!




No comments: